Climbing in the calanques
Climbing offers Magnificent points of view over Calanques National Park
Rock climbing is present since the first hours of mountaineering in the calanques. We think about Gaston Rebuffat, the famous Marseilles mountaineer who participated in the ascent of the first summit over 8000 meters during the year 1950.
If the Marseilles man was so nimble on the highest summits of the world, in great part this is due to the magnificent climb school that represents the massif of calanques.
Rock climbing in the calanques, is a magnificent way to discover this environment off the beaten track. The route of these dizzying routes allow to access to wonderful views and away from large crowds.
Don't be afraid, there is no need to had already climbed in gym, or to be a extreme sportsman to begin this activity.
Security / WeatherA minimum amount of fitness is required to climb but it can be adapted to each group. Your level of experience and the weather determines in large the most suitable area.
Thanks to a field recognised experience, instructors will be the best qualified to orientate you in the decision making.
« It's possible to climb all the year in the calanques »Depending on the season, you will pack warm clothes or short !
- - Sportswear + Windproof jacket, quilted Jacket
- - Closed walking shoes
- - Sunscreen + Sunglasses
- - Picnic and/or a snack
- - Water : minimum 1,5L of water per person - Already included: climbing equipment (helmet, harness, rope, etc...)
Proposed Activities: Climbing adventure, introduction to rock climbing and rock climbing courses
- This is an intermediate activity between hiking and rock climbing. Using rope techniques such as rappelling or rope walking, these excursions will allow you to discover the heart of the Calanques National Park off the beaten track.
« The climbing adventure or "via cordata" is accessible to beginners without knowledge of climbing.»Other essential information! No need to don climbing shoes that some people dread ! These courses are done in sneakers or hiking shoes.
A full day or half day depending on the course.
- From beginners to advanced, coaching for a full day or half day. The choice of the area will be made on the level, the weaher and of course your desires. Between the calanques od Marseille, Cassis (Cap canaille) and la Ciotat, the possibilities are immense. All the climbing equipment will be provided to you.
- You have a minimum of climbing practice, you have just started in gym, climbing courses in the Calanques makes you dream but you dare not cross the cap alone. Ask an experimented instructor to accompany you and discover this magnificent playground. We will choose together a path adapted to your level.
Supervision for two people maximum.
Learning techniques of progression in routes of several lengths, accompaniment and formation towards the autonomy.
Excursions with an experimented rock climbing instructor, informations and prices
Guillaume MOTTET : Climbing and Canyoning Instructor
Climbing instructor in Calanques National Park and everywhere in Provence, Guillaume is fascinated on any form of climbing. With more than 10 years experience exploring and teaching in calanques area, it will propose you the best courses for each level and share his passion with you in magnificent landscape!
Contact / Booking : 06.84.48.66.14 ,Go to Escalade Provence website
- Climbing adventure: Half-day : 55€/person, Full day : 75€/person. Group rates from 5 people.
- Introduction to rock climbing and rock climbing courses: Half-day : from 150€, Full day : from 250€.
- These rates are based on a maximum of 12 people except for the main routes or only two people maximum. For larger groups, the activities remain accessible but will require the commitment of other instructors.