The Sea Kayak is a light boat ideal to explore the calanques and the coastline. Quiet and environmentally friendly, it allow to reach some places inaccessible by foot or other boat. This outdoor activity, simple and healthy respond precisely to the issues of the national park.
The kayak, a unique approach of the nature
A kayak tour in the calanques, is above all down through the coastline quietly and freely. Alone or accompanied, this is in a zen and convivial spirit that must go closely along the coast to discover in a new light the magnificent calcareous landscapes, and take a few moments on the curiosities lying each route: Sea caves, blower holes, breaches, beautiful creeks and marine animals. The rest for the warrior is generally associated with a good picnic, swimming and idleness in a sheltered calanque like En-vau before returning to sea.
Security / WeatherSea kayak require a minimum amount of fitness but depend particularly of the weather. Before you plan a tour, always start with consulting the weather on Météo France ou Météo Consult for example. If you're not familiar with the marine environment, you could opt for an organized excursion. Besides ensuring the security, the guide will allow you not to miss anything.
Required equipmentIt needs to be ensured that the weather conditions are suitable and pack the equipment required to prevent the cases of hypothermia, hypoglycaemia, insolation and other minor complications.
- - Swimsuit + Tee-shirt + Windbreak
- - Chaussures fermées
- - Sunscreen + Sunglasses + Hat
- - Cellphone
- - Picninc and/or a snack, indulge yourself, it's the kayak which carries ;)
- - Water : 1,5L of water minimum (have a little extra if you plan a picnic)
- - Already included in the rental of the kayak: Lifejacket, paddle and water-proof storage container.
Kayak routes in the calanquesSome exemples of routes which will be perfect for a first kayak excursion in the national park.
- From Cassis to En-vau (45min): From the beach of la grande mer in Cassis, leave the channel then follow the west coast after the harbor and cross Port-miou, go along the pointe de la Cacau and the vestiges of the eponymous career to join the calanque of Port-pin and next this of En-vau. After 45 minutes of sailing you will enter in one of the most beautiful calanques of Marseille.
« The efforts will be well rewarded because you will be the lonely boats allowed to cross the line of yellow buoys in the middle of the calanque in order to reach the beach »
- Kayak excursion Cassis / En-vau / l'Essaïdon / le Devenson (1h15): Departing from Cassis, leave the channel then follow the west coast after the harbor until the pointe Cacau (Between Port-miou and Port-pin), next cross directly couper directement towards the pointe de Castelviel (exit of En-vau). Go to the calanque of l'Oule and its cave avant de rejoindre l'aiguille de l'Eissadon. Le parcours se poursuit en longeant les grandes falaises du Devenson jusqu'à l'îlot du Dromadaire en contre bas. Déjà 1h15 de navigation, faire demi-tour pour rejoindre la calanque d'En-vau qui constitue un abri idéal pour la pause pique nique et baignade.
Kayak rental, informations and prices
Lo'Kayak : Kayak rental in Cassis
The paths noted above starts from the beach of la grande mer (main beach in Cassis). The company Lo'Kayak of which the premises are located on some twenty meters of the beach, offers rental of good kayak and stand up paddle independently: kayak single-seater/two-seater/three-seater RTM + paddle + lifejacket + water-proof storage container (over the age of 6 / able to swim without assistance). Guided excursions possible on demand and quote. Facilities on site, changing rooms and locked compartments.
Starting point and schedules
- Adress: Lo'Kayak, 4 Place Montmorin 13260 Cassis
- Opening hours: From 8h to 20h, 7d/7 from March to November
- - Rental 3h, 4h (half-day), 5h or 6h (full-day).
- 10 % group rebate if more than 10 peaple (rental only)
« Early booking is strongly recommended »
- Tour in autonomy (Low season: 1 april to 14 june - 16 september to 11 november): Single kayak (half-day: 25€, day: 40€), double kayak (half-day: 40€, day: 65€), three-seat kayak (half-day: 50€, day: 75€).
- Tour in autonomy (High season: 15 june to 15 september): The average cost for a single kayak (half-day: 35€, day: 50€), double kayak (half-day: 50€, day: 75€), three-seat kayak (half-day: 60€, day: 85€).
- Guided excursion (kayak rental + instructor): On demand and quote from 8 persons