La Gardiole, access to the calanques national park
The forest of la Gardiole is situated between Marseille and Cassis, in the small valley in front of Carpiagne military camp.
Before 2019, it was possible to access with your own car to the col of la Gardiole and a large parking, but today the road is closed near the principal road of la Gineste.
There is a little space to park and this significantly increase the distance to go to the calanque d'En-vau. So, it is recommended to go to En-vau from Cassis.
To access to the national park and la Gardiole area, you should walk from the gate near the road of la Gineste and follow the paved road that descends in the small valley. The trees are youg because of fires but the small forest just after the entrance is perfect to stop one time or to organise a picnic in the shade of the trees. If you want to join the calanque of En-vau, carry on up along the zig-zagging path to the col. From the col you could select from several path, including one to descends on the calanque of En-vau. The others paths goes to the youth hostel of Cassis "La Fontasse", the calanque of Port-pin or the mount Pujet.
Access and parking from Marseille
Gate of la Gineste / Carpiagne
Entrance in la Gardiole forest
Forest of firs, pines and cypress
Path going from Marseille to Cassis
In the shade, ideal to make a picnic
Road to the col
- Route: Access is via the road D559 between Marseille and Cassis (La Gineste). Entrance of la Gardiole area is in front of Carpiagne military camp.
- Motorized vehicles are forbidden all the year on the small road between the road of la Gineste and the col of la Gardiole.
- Bus: Take the NAP Tourisme bus shuttles (M8 line), from "Castellane" (Marseille) or Cassis.
More information: Move around Marseille
- Parking: Some parking spots near the gate down the road of la Gineste
- Calanques reachable: Calanque of En vau
- Hiking routes: From the parking, it's possible to follow the hiking trail via the col of la Gardiole to join the calanque of En vau in less than 2h.